Monday, September 21, 2009

A Terrifying Encounter

I never thought while doing something so normal and ordinary I would be stopped in my tracks,
scared to death, and all alone. It was just a simple walk to Burger King and the nearest gas station. I always keep to myself, oblivious to normal things that happen around me, and just determined to make it to my destination. My best friend Lynne works at Burger King and as usual I decided to meet her outside after close. When I arrived at B.K the restaurant was closed, but Lynne was still working so I decided to walk over to the gas station. I had to take two different cross walks because of the intersection; it wasn't rush hour so I made it across the street safely. As I was walking back from the gas station I began to feel scared.

I walked across the first faded white cross walk, that I could barely see in the dark to the telephone pole with the "push to walk button". I noticed a blue SUV slow down in an awkward way in the parking lot next door. I could hear the window roll down as the WALK signal blinked rapidly at me to cross. I booked it across the street, but didn’t lose my cool as I didn't think too much of the car. When I made it to the B.K. and Wal-Mart parking lots I started to walk at a normal pace again. Suddenly I glanced to my right to see the car whip into the vacant lot. I didn't stop walking until a voice called my name. "Hi Kayt, I'm Adam I want to get to know you come here." This voice was so unfamiliar I was shocked he knew my name. His skin blended in with the darkness of the night as I stopped to look at him through the passenger window. All I could see was the whiteness in his eyes. His voice was enhanced with an African accent and I grew more and more frightened as he kept repeating himself. "Come here, I would like to get to know you," he bellowed. "No!" I screamed. He slowly drove away as I took my phone out and pretended to dial the police. It was perfect timing as Lynne walked out of B.K with three of her co-workers. I began to tell her the story describing the man and what he said, but before I could finish a shocking comment came from her.
"That is my landlord!"
A million things were running through our minds at that moment. The unexpected twist is that I have never met her landlord and he has never met me. Lynne moved out that night and I haven't seen or heard from the African stranger named Adam again.

1 comment:

  1. That story is so scary. I wonder how he knew your name?

    ReplyDelete